Outer Banks North Carolina: What To Do And See During Your Visit?
Outer Banks North Carolina is one of the famous places to visit in the State as this area is known for there 100 miles of beaches along Dave County.
North Carolina is one of the tops of my bucket list to visit in the States. I, dreamed of moving in this State as I love what I read online, their way of living, people, culture, and the weather. Our trip started with me liking this place and wanted to check it out before moving somewhere in the State.
Why Is This Place Perfect For Bigger Groups?
- You get a great vacation house with great amenities and facilities for a fraction of the price.
- Great for any kinds of travelers but the bigger group can benefit here.
- There are lots of vacation house rentals in the area; it’s like the whole village full of vacation rentals.
- Renting in one of their vacation rentals in case of bad weather you get to enjoy still as they have many activities within the backyard. For us, we got a hot tub, pool, volleyball, and golf course area.
Best Area To Stay in Outer Banks
- Kitty Hawk
- Nags Head
- Kill Devil Hills
- Cape Hatteras
When Is The Best Time To Visit OBX?
- It is evident that when we make a trip to the beach, we wanted to enjoy it; so for me the summer time is good, but the place is famous to travelers especially for bigger groups and families during the season. The best month to travel is around 3rd week of August to the first week of September as the weather isn’t too hot nor too cold. You still get to swim on the beach and have your suntan while laying in the sand.
- There are four seasons for accommodation prices the offseason, preseason, season, and the postseason. And I recommend the dates right before the season and right after the season for saving a little bit of money.
Most days of our visit in the Duck area around 1st week of September the weather is not good. We’ve been receiving a lot of warning, so we never got to swim at the beach. But the kids enjoyed lounging at the pool and playing with their cousins. So it was not a big deal for us as we still got to enjoy it. My in-laws got to go back last year-end of August, and they get perfect weather all week so I can attest that visiting around this time of the year isn’t a bad deal at all if you like to enjoy what Outer Banks offer to their visitors.
10 Things To Do And See In OBX
- Jockey’s Ridge Park
- See Corolla’s Wild Horses
- Cape Hatteras Light House
- Roanoke Island Festival Park
- The Lost Colony
- Jennette’s Pier
- Hatteras Village North Carolina
- Wright Brothers National Memorial
- Donuts on a stick and ice cream
- Roanoke and Albemarle Sounds
Things We Didn’t Miss Visiting During Our Visit
The fresh Duck donuts
This Duck donut is the best donuts I’ve ever liked the only difference here is you eat it freshly made, and you can even see them cook right in front of you. The Duck Donuts is at the boardwalk people loves to walk in there early in the morning.
I Got Your Crabs
The crab place that is famous and known as the best place to have when you are around the Kitty Hawk area it is a casual place nothing fancy, but it is yummy for a fraction of the other high-end restaurant. I love crabs, but since I arrived here in the US, I am fun of King Crabs. If you enjoy eating a lot of meat and spend less time digging the crab meat, they have a King Crab Legs available.
Corolla’s Wild Horses
If you come here, don’t miss to see the wild mustang as it is so amazing to see them in the distance. It’s a great experienced for the kids to see it as it is different from other horses. If the weather permits and you have a jeep to drive around the sand, bring swim attire as it is excellent for swimming and practice surfing. The beach area here is vast compared to the Duck area.
Jockey’s Ridge Park
It’s an excellent place for hiking, flying kites, picnic and swimming along the shore when the weather permits you to do so. I don’t recommend in coming here in bad weather especially if you have small children as the sand will blow to your face. It isn’t fun at all!
Night Time Crab Hunt
We brought all the kids together in the seashore during at night to do some crab hunting! All the kids love it, and the excitement, smiles, and giggles to each other are priceless! Don’t forget this when you are in the beach area.
There are lots of walking trails around overlooking the water, many restaurants to dine in and shops for shopping around. Prices are reasonable and affordable. You can bike, jog, walk, and or ride your car to go there. I love walking around the seashore in the morning for sunrise views and in the afternoon for sunset. We enjoyed it there!
It depends on which area and accommodation you choose for us we were four households with 23 people total including the two grandmas who were with us during the trip. We were able to fit in the house comfortably, and we divided the payments based on the number of pax excluding toddlers. I believed the total cost of the house is around $2, 000 plus for seven days of the entire stay. For our family, we paid under $500 for the accommodation, not including the food.
- I find it dangerous for smaller kids to wander even if you are nearby. If you come here make sure you are holding their hands to be sure they are safe! If you are fun of surfing and with smaller children, I honestly find Corolla beach area to be suitable for families with smaller kids compared in the Duck beach area.
- I might not be able to visit the city I wanted to see within the State yet. But I am blessed to set foot on America’s First National Seashore there are still a lot of things to see and do here, and I can see us coming back to see more around the State to understand the history and its people.
If you like to read more about Outer Banks as a whole they have great detailed information on their website that is very helpful and easy to understand for any travel plans. If you like to know the importance of traveling with family members here is the link.
Disclaimer: All ideas are mine if you have any questions or want further details, please contact the Tourism office and or refer to their website. Weather and prices change over time, so its best to call them directly.
The house in the pic looks awesome! We are headed to the Asheville area next weekend and hope sometime to visit the coast in the future. Thanks for sharing!
Awww so cute! Great pictures and good information. Definitely putting this on our travel list ????????
I am glad you find this post helpful! Thanks for stopping by!
Seeing the wild horses sounds like a great experience and going at the end of August first of September is great advise on avoiding the crowds.
I never been to North Carolina (hope to tick that state off soon) but I guess the sunrises over the Atlantic Ocean must be amazing. The beach looks smooth and golden as well and would love to get a tan here during the summer months.
I hope you can very soon.
This looks like a fantastic place to stay, especially in a large group!
Those beaches look gorgeous, and it’s great that you can see wild mustangs! The kids must have LOVED it!!
Yes, we all love it especially one to three horses put a show for us to see them.
Anchored Adventure Blog
I loved reading through this post, as it brought back so many great memories. I grew up in South Carolina and OBX is a popular vacation spot.
Lucky! I’ve wanted to live and move in this area. I guess I feel I always belong to the South! Lol
As weird as it sounds, it was really my first time seeing a horse laying down like that. So lovely, and cute at the same time!
And I’m glad that you had a good time with your family. Time spent around the beach can never be bad, especially when you’re surrounded with your loved ones. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
We are also fans of renting accommodations, it is not only cost effective but you feel less of a tourist when you are not in a hotel. It looks like this area has so much to see and do and a wonderful spot for families.
Yes, it is!
It looks like so much fun, I really have to think very hard if I were to take a group of people with me on a Holiday.
Hahaha, yes there is a benefit for it too.
I always like places where I am not moving from one place to another and instead where I can relax. And OBX seems to be that kind of place.
Yes, it is if you happen to go the morning walk to the boardwalk and the fresh donuts are always a go.
Wow! What a beautiful beach and vacation home. I love the beach and have been wanting to plan a visit to North Carolina. I will definitely keep your tips in mind. Great post! 🙂
I’m glad you find this one helpful Paloma 🙂 you should visit it’s a great State!
This looks like a lot of fun!
xo so 888
I had been honored to receive a call coming from a friend when he
observed the important recommendations shared in your site.
Browsing your blog post is a real fantastic experience.
Thank you for thinking about readers just like me, and I
desire for you the best of success as a professional in this field.
Thank you, Angelina, so kind of you to say that! I am glad that your friend recommends you to visit my blog and I am happy to know that you’re satisfied with all the information and guide I shared here.
I used to live in the NC mountains but never made it to the Outer Banks. It’s on my bucket list!!
Yes, North Carolina is pretty I still want to go back.
Very good information. Lucky me I ran across your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
I have book-marked it for later!
аналитика леонида малолетова
I visited various blogs but the audio feature for audio songs present at this site is genuinely