Lilac Festival In Rochester New York For Mothers Day?!
Lilac Festival is one of the biggest festivals in Rochester New York. Its been around for years, and people are always looking forward to it. May it be local or domestic travelers the event is still in the lists.
The lilac festival tries to showcase 1500 lilac flowers during the festival but sad to say it doesn’t happen all the time. They were years that hardly anything blooms yet, as it all depends on the weather. So, if you’re considering visiting Rochester to experience the festival, try to see the weather pattern. Sometimes the weather cooperates, but sometimes it will be too wet to enjoy. This year is one of the years that it won’t be the best experienced for it as it always rains. But Rochester is still a right place if your schedule only allows you to travel around Mothers Day. Below will be the lists of things why its always good to visit Rochester during this time of year.
Rochester In May For Mothers Day?
- The park where the festival is held is pretty with tulips and Japanese trees except some of the lilacs.
- Sometimes, people still slope in the mountain during this month you will never know what you get.
- Some of the flower trees will be out early, and it is stunning, especially along Eastman School Of Music.
- The weather wouldn’t be too cold nor too hot; it is perfect for roaming around if it’s not raining.
- There is two small park area for the children to play in. The first, a small park with swing sets, slides, monkey bars made of metal. While the other one is near where the tents will be set up with different sizes of logs where kids can climb, walk, and hide under a cut tree, it is a pleasant experience. Very nice.
- Highland Lamberton Park and Conservatory are within walking distance from the park. If it rains, it is walkable and nearby. The place is tiny, so I’m sure they can’t accommodate a lot of people. Kids will enjoy the turtles and some of the flowers that bloom during the time of your visit.
- Visitors around this time will still enjoy the park as their still so many things to see and do even if the lilac wasn’t ready yet.
Other Things To Do In The Area
- George Eastman Museum- this is one of Rochester pride, good for history but small children might have a hard time roaming around here. I remember we only spent 30 minutes- 1 hour here.
- Strong Museum- these museums have a lot to offer and its one of the best children museums around the country. They are known for the different era dolls collections, and the various CD’s and DVDs they display for generations. You can spend your time here all day, and the kids still don’t wanna go home. It’s a great museum.
- Rochester Museum And Science Center- is an excellent museum of dinosaur lover as they have a big area where a big statue of dinosaur is displayed, and the kids can pretend to find the bones. The boys spend a lot of time trying to dig and find bones. He’s into this type of thing, so there is no surprise here as this is the reason why we decided to visit this place.
- You can watch a theater shows if you’re a theater lover. Try to check Kodak Center, Geva Theater, Lyric Theater, and many others if there is an available show during your visit. Rochester has a lot of artistic people, and they are talented and professional in their craft. If you happen to be here check for kids theater shows it cost $10 for the ticket and it is a great one worth for your money as they are serious learning about theater here.
Where To Eat In Rochester?
Pane Vino On The River
- for the Italian restaurant, it’s somewhat expensive, but it is worth the price.
- An American restaurant is in East Avenue where some of the other restaurants are. The price is a little stip but overall worth it when it comes to the amount of food you get, and the quality of the meat and the flavor is excellent.
- if you come to Rochester, don’t forget to try this place as it is their pride.
- it is a Vietnamese food if you enjoy Asian cuisine it is worth a visit it’s in Mount Hope it is very near Highland Park.
King and I
- This one is in Henrietta it is a little farther of the way but worth a try. It’s a Thai restaurant, again if you love Asian cuisine is worth the 15 minutes drive.
- a Japanese Restaurants located in Pittsford a 10-15 minutes drive depending on which area your origin from the city of Rochester.
Some Local Favorites To Eat
- Tony D’s
- Black & Blue Steak and Crab
- Owl House
- Jines Restaurant
- Nick Tahoe Hots
- Nick Tahoe Hots– a food that you don’t want to miss in visiting the place. The garbage plate is Rochester pride, but we’re not fun of it, but it’s delicious.
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que- a great place to eat they do have some music. Their barbecue is perfect and not to be miss when you are in the area.
Whether lilac festival falls on Mothers Day or not still have a lot of things to do and see in Rochester New York during May. As long as the weather is good, Highland Park is still pretty and a great place to hang out with your family as the other flowers are blooming for the spring season. If you come around the second week of May, you can enjoy them and the third to last weekend of the month you can expect more lilacs are there to enjoy. I can’t wait for the lilacs to bloom as it smells so fantastic and as you walk around the park and pass them the air around you smell so wonderful. If you like to read more about the area here is the other article, Rochester A Family Tourists Destination.
This looks like such a fun time! There’s so many wonderful family things to do in the area too!
Yes, too many things for families to enjoy! It is a tourists spots that are underrated
I have never been to Rochester New York but I have extended that is there that I really should visit and found this a great post. I particularly enjoyed your photos including flowers and would love chance to visit during the Lilac Festival as well as visit the Conservatory.
I really appreciate and find it helpful that you include several suggestions for food as that is always what I struggle with when traveling as I usually am overwhelmed with option. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sounds intriguing and the Vietnamese restaurant sounds tasty too!
Yes, my husband is a picky eater, and we always struggle the same. So when we research and visit a place, the food restaurant needs to be included on the lists not to waste our time and wander around where to eat!
Cynthia | Adventuring Woman
Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers. Mother’s day is way too soon for them to bloom here in Minnesota, glad to hear you have an earlier spring in Rochester! Great info here and I love how you write about the town you live in. So important to explore our own backyards!
Yes, and most people forget to explore the one nearby and always wonder far. Thank you for the sweet comment!
I love the Lilac Festival! I moved from Rochester many years ago, but have gone back to visit during the festival over the years. It’s so fragrant and beautiful, and truly a sight to see. And now after reading your great post, I am craving a garbage plate from Nick Tahoe’s! 🙂
Hahhaha, yes it’s what people eat here especially during football games and cheerleading competitions. I used to eat those during those time. Hope you can visit soon fall is pretty over here. Where are you now? Rochester has a lot of things to offer and I focused on that!
Great resource for visiting Rochester! It seems like there are a lot of cool things to do in the area and that the lilacs blooming would be an added bonus. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, there are lots of festivals in the surrounding areas all summer! Foliage is the best here Watkins Glen is only two hours plus drive from Rochester.
Lilac Festival In New York looks amazing, I love the fact you included places to eat, If I visit I will be sure to check out the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Hahaha, yes as I can relate how frustrating it is sometimes to travel and will be wondering where are the best places in the area. I hope you can experience it in the future.
Gosh it looks beautiful. I absolutely love tulips, they’re my all-time favourites. Thanks for the info on what else is around the area.
You’re very welcome! Yes, tulips are so pretty!
As long as you enjoyed Mothers Day it makes the trip even more special, you caught me on the where to eat section as I am a major foodie… Whenever I travel food is a must trying and experiencing new traditional foods and exquisite cuisines.
Yes, same here! 🙂 I’m glad there is something that interests you…
Anchored Adventure Blog
It sounds like the number of museums in Rochester could keep you busy for days! I love museums that can entertain kids and adults at the same time. Seems like there’s a good mix!
Yes, you’re right if you are into history and planning to stay up to 3 days then there are so many things to do here. People don’t know much what Rochester can offer, so not so many Domestic travelers come here. But if people start to see this gem, I’m sure they would enjoy it here.
Fae Celine Ong
I love flowers, I enjoy visiting flower festivals. Me and my mom plant different flowers in our garden. Lilac is so beautiful and my favorites are hydrangeas, tulips and peonies 🙂
Yes, we have hydrangeas too and we just planted a peonies this Sring 🙂 Flower festival is always fun to visit.
Wow this looks absolutely gorgeous! What a cool place. Just another reason to visit New York this beautiful time of year. Thanks for this!
Yes, thank you. 🙂
I have to admit, even though I like flowers and love the colours, I cant see myself going to a flower festival. I am just not getting the appeal. My younger brother however, works in this industry and thinks I am a fool and should check one out. So who knows if I am in Rochester area that time of year, I might just do that (and as I am from London, UK, I havent check out the Chelsea flower show or even visited Kew Gardens!)
Hahahah, yes I don’t blame you every person is different! Maybe coming around here in the fall will be your bet as Watkins Glen is one of the best fall foliage in the United States.
The Virginia Nymph
So much natural beauty in on place. The images are wonderful!
The photos of the flowers look so pretty. Sounds like the perfect way to spend Mother’s Day.
Yes, it is! As long as the their is no rain the area is still great to spend time with family.
Wow, you clicked nice pictures of so many colourful flowers. Made me feel nice.
Looks like there are beautiful flowers blooming even if the lilacs have not bloomed yet. I had never heard of the lilac festival but I love lilacs so I will need to make it up to Rochester one day. Thanks for showing some great ideas for other things to do in the area too.
You’re very welcome! I’m sure you will love and enjoy it here during your visit.